Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to make a rainbow cake:


There's really no big secret to it, except maybe that you should use Wilton's paste food colorings that you get at Michaels or cake decorating stores to get the deeper, brighter colors.

But I just followed the directions on One Charming Party.  They have some fabulous party ideas.

I ended up using almost 2 white cake mixes, each layer using a little over 1 cup of colored batter.  After they were baked, I shaved off any high parts to try to make each layer as flat as possible.  Then I used just good ole homemade butter frosting.

Then, if you want pretty slices, you need to use a clean, hot, wet knife for each cut.  Fill a glass with hot water to dip your knife into each time.  Works like a charm.

It might be fun to have a rainbow cake for St. Patrick's Day.  Hmmmm...........

4 comments:

Natty by Design said...

My kids are going to love this! Thanks for posting the how-to.

Steph said...

Thank you!! :)

Owens, LandM said...

How did you guess we were all thinking: how DO u make that cake?I love your blog and pictures - you are soooo talented. So glad you decided to keep going - this brightens my day!!

Unknown said...

I'm totally making this cake for either St. Patty's Day, Brock's Birthday and/or Easter. I'm in LOVE!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...